In September 1939, the second World War broke out. Soon coal became scarce. In 1940 the Louth County council decided to open up the bog on the Omeath mountain and Annaverna. A road was constructed from Tulla to the top of the mountain. The bog was divided into plots and to have use of the plot cost fifteen shillings.Turf cutting began in 1941. In 1958 summer proved to be the worst year for cutting turf, a good many people did not return the following year.. working on the bog was hard work.