The Farmers always grew corn in Omeath, and the corn would have been milled at the Corn Mill in Ballinteskin into oatmeal which would supply the household until the next harvest. Unfortunately, during the time of the Famine the process of milling was disallowed and thus began the demise of the Mill in Ballinteskin.
Along with the mill that was located behind the former youth hostel in Ballinteskin, three mill cottages were also built. Only one of the original mill cottages remains to this day, a reminiscence to the agricultural legacy of the village. (attached is a photograph from the 1920 showing the three mill cottages on the right hand side in front of the youth hostel, and the remaining mill cottage that still stands in Ballinteskin)
All farmers who owned land in the townlands along the shore acquired rights to the shoreline for the gathering of shellfish and fishing, hence why so many small farmers in Omeath were also fishermen as well.
In addition to the trades of Fishing, Farming, and Milling, there are historical records to verify other crafts and services within the village.
Nail Making – This was carried out by a family called Mc Carthys from Drummullagh.
Net Making – This was carried on by Stephen Small and Michie Mc Ardle of Drummullagh Omeath.
Candle Making – This was carried on by the Duffy family of Tulla Omeath.
Blanket-making – This industry was carried on by Peter Terry Fearon and his daughters. At one time they supplied Omeath with blankets.
Harness-making – A family who lived in Knocknagoran called Mc Keown carried this industry o ats. n, but only for a short time.
Boat-making – The Alcorn family of Drummullagh, Omeath were the only family that made boats.