It used to be common to see nuns from the ‘Order of the Poor Clare’ around Omeath until they vacated and the house went on the open market in 1970. The nuns used to host paying guests in the ‘chalets’ and ran a retreat house for ladies which later was turned into a guest house for the elderly. Children from ‘Our Mother of Mercy Home’ in Newry also enjoyed the Chalet in Omeath where they could enjoy the peace and beauty of Cooley. They also provided employment in the area by running a successful mini factory that made garments including jerseys for both Armagh GAA and Cooley Kickhams. In 1926 Armagh played Dublin in the All-Ireland Junior Semi-Final and wore jerseys knit especially for them by the nuns in Omeath in the colours which are still used today. The garment making business provided jobs for the Omeath area and as well as football attire, they produced Aran knitwear for Hardy Amies, an English fashion label, for distribution across Europe.